Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Good Mom


Being sick makes me think about my mom a lot. The one thing I remember best are her hands. That may seem really weird to you, but my mom had these long thin hands and thin fingers (mine look just like hers if you really need a visual) and they were COLD. I don't really know if it was because I had a fever or if she just had cold hands all the time, but I love when someone feels my face or neck for a temp because it makes me think of my mom and how she used to take care of me. :)


It also made me think of what a good mom I will make when and if I have kids. :) When I got sick, my mom got all the good "sick kid foods" out: saltine crackers (the kind in the blue box not generic), chicken soup (campbells or homemade- I like homemade better cause she made it with peas), popcicles (cherry are the best, and no one would eat the grape ones but my dad... things still have not changed), sprite (classic), and my favorite... the best one of all... Blue Bell vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup (BUT you have to stir it all up until it's almost like soft serve... it tastes sooooooooooo much better). I can pretty much duplicate this on my own, but it's always better when someone else is there helping out. That has been the hardest part about not feeling well- my roommates were not at home at all today... or if they were, it was when I was finally able to get a nap in. So, I have spent the day alone.


I have watched a lot of movies. :) I just love watching movies, especially when I don't feel good. When I was younger, my mom used to watch Disney movies with me, and musicals like The Sound of Music and Grease. When my dad would go out of town (which was only once or twice a year), we would rent old Doris Day movies, classics like The Parent Trap and Yours, Mine and Ours, and 80's movies- basically anything with Molly Ringwald. Once, and I think this may have been the only time I ever had the flu, my mom went and brought two Harry Potter books out of the closet. She had been saving them for a special day, and I read them both over the next few days. That was just how great she was. She was always finding ways to love on me and make me feel better.


I want to be that kind of mom. The kind that has gifts for her kids for those special days when they need something extra. The kind that goes on spontaneous trips just for fun. The kind that always wants to hear every little detail about everything. The kind who will hold your hand just because, and let you sit in her lap, even when you get too big. I want to be fun, and loving, and just the best mom ever. But I think I want a husband first. Just saying. :)


I wish you could have met my mom. She really was the best. :) I miss her every single day, but double on days like today. I can't wait to be just like her!

1 comment:

valerie said...

you are precious, and you will be just like her!