Monday, November 9, 2009

New Obsessions

Ok, I know I say that I love new things all the time- but this time I mean it!!



Ok, wondering what this is?? It's sand!! :) When the whole thing is done, it's going to be a starfish on the sand. Super cute- right?? And the best part is- I sewed it myself!! I cut out the felt, sewed on the beads and sequins (after looking it up online) and the hand sewed the sides and stuffed with a teensy bit of polyfill. Seriously, I had so much fun!!! I can't wait to do the starfish next! I have to bead it like crazy, then sew it together and then, somehow, attach it to sand without looking tacky... Hmmm....

Where did I get this idea?? Well, my mom made about 7 or 8 of them when I was little... a cute train, Pinnochio, a clown. When I was 16 (I know, I was old) she made the cutest Care Bear for my birthday, who now a permanent resident of our Christmas tree. As much as these ornaments are mine- I mean, no one else has any attachment to them- they belong on our family tree. So, I needed to make some of my own.
Here are the other ornaments I have (all store bought- but no less special!):



















Ok, so, from the top: 1. HOPE (I bought this at Hobby Lobby; I just loved the manger scene and the message it sends), 2. Crazy Alligator (Ok, so I have a thing for animals... and he was so cute! In his own creepy way...), 3. JERRY BIRD!!! (Yes, this looks JUST like my parakeet, Jerry. I almost cried when I found him at World Market! The lady checking me out wanted him- but he is mine- back off Lady!), 4. The Dish Ran Away With the Spoon (Ok, if it has to do with children's lit, I am all over it!! Poetry all the way!)

So, this is just a snipet of my new collection. I have two others that didn't make it onto the blog- the word NOEL that looks like it is spelled with cookies and a CARE BEAR oranament from the 80's!! She is really cute- I will have to show her off to you later.

Now, as if Christmas ornaments weren't my only obsession- I also LOVE felt craft projects. Now that I know that I can sew pretty well, I have been looking into all kinds of felt crafts! My first project after the ornaments? These:
Felt Chocolate Chip Cookies!!!! CUTE!!!!!!!!!! And FUN!


And if I get REALLY ambittous, how about this?


Yeah- maybe another year... :)

No comments: